The admissions to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, abbreviated as PhD, are invited from all over Pakistan. Eligible foreign students are admitted subject to a valid visa and NOC from HEC.
Admission to PhD programme is made on competitive basis. The minimum period for completion of PhD programme is three years whereas maximum period shall be seven years.
- To be eligible for admission to PhD, a candidate shall possess an MS/ MPhil degree or its equivalent in a relevant subject from a recognized university with a minimum CGPA of 3.00 (Semester System) or First Division (Annual System).
- The PhD student prior to admission must qualify with at least 60% score in NTS GAT Subject Test or should have scored International GRE Subject test with 60% percentile (except foreign students).
- A college or university teacher or a member of the research staff of a research organization who holds an MA / MSc degree but has shown undoubted promise for research may also be considered for admission to PhD. However, the candidate would have to complete the course work of 24 credit hours for MPhil / MS level as a prerequisite for moving into the PhD programme.
- All the admitted students in PhD programme of the University need to complete 18 credit-hours course work. The course work shall be based on at least 12-credit hours of class work teaching (regular courses) and up to a maximum of 6 credit hours of seminar.
- For a PhD student who does not hold an MPhil or equivalent degree, the course work requirement shall be of 42 (24+18) credit hours. The course work shall be based on at least 36-credit hours of class work teaching (regular courses) and up to a maximum of 6-credit hours of seminar.
- For the students registered in PhD programme of Faculty of Biological Sciences and Natural Sciences, a paper published in W category shall be accepted whereas the students registered in PhD programme of Faculty of Social Sciences, a paper published in W, X or Y category shall be accepted.